UAW 2865 (the union of TAs, GSIs, GSRs, Tutors, and Readers) and UAW 5810 (the union of Postdocs and Academic Researchers) are looking for talented organizers at multiple campuses committed to building a powerful and democratic union. The ideal candidates will have previous organizing experience in labor. Full-time and part-time positions available.
About UAW 2865 & UAW 5810
Together, UAW 2865 and UAW 5810 represent 48,000 academic workers across all ten University of California campuses and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. UAW members teach the classes, grade the papers, and perform the cutting-edge research that has earned UC its reputation as the best public university in the country and a global leader of R1 research institutions. Together, we are leading the fight to make public higher education in California more accessible, equitable, and democratic.
Click here to learn more about UAW 2865 and UAW 5810.
About the positions
Staff organizers are integral to developing and maintaining the structures necessary to support a dynamic, member-led union. UAW 2865/5810 is looking for candidates who are passionate about social justice, detail-oriented, committed to public higher education, and eager to work with member leaders to give them the tools needed to organize their workplace. Open positions include:
Desired Job Qualifications:
- A commitment to intersectional economic, racial, and social justice, and solidarity with working people across diverse workplaces and sectors.
- An interest in learning and developing democratic, worker-led organizing practices.
- Strong attention to detail, time management skills, and ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative group.
- The ability to meet with workers in a variety of locations on your assigned campaign. This role will include talking with workers both one-on-one and in groups.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with worker representation and collectively bargained agreements
- Proficient with Google products such as Gmail and Google Drive (docs & sheets)
- Previous union or other political or community organizing experience (preferred)
These positions are in-person in Sacramento and the Bay Area
Pay and Benefits
Salary ranges from $74,199 to $88,640 for full-time work, depending on experience and role. This position is covered by a Collectively Bargained Agreement.
UAW 2865/5810 offers a comprehensive benefits package with $0 in healthcare premiums. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement funds, and paid time off.
How to Apply
Submit a resume and brief cover letter to email@example.com
International students, women, people of color, LGBTQIA are all encouraged to apply.