UAW 2865 (the union of TAs, GSIs, GSRs, Tutors, and Readers) and UAW 5810 (the union of Postdocs and Academic Researchers) are looking for a talented field organizer located in Southern California committed to building a powerful and democratic union. The ideal candidate will have at least 2 years previous organizing experience in labor. This will be a full-time position.
ABOUT UAW 2865 & UAW 5810
Together, UAW 2865 and UAW 5810 represent 48,000 academic workers across all ten University of California campuses and Lawrence Berkeley National Laboratory. UAW members teach the classes, grade the papers, and perform the cutting-edge research that has earned UC its reputation as the best public university in the country and a global leader of R1 research institutions. Together, we are leading the fight to make public higher education in California more accessible, equitable, and democratic.
Click here to learn more about UAW 2865 and UAW 5810.
ABOUT THE POSITION
Staff organizers are integral to developing and maintaining the structures necessary to support a dynamic, member-led union. UAW 2865/5810 is looking for candidates who are passionate about social justice, detail-oriented, committed to public higher education, and eager to work with member leaders to give them the tools needed to organize their workplace.
Job Duties for a Field Organizer Include:
- Sign up workers as union members and answer questions about benefits, rights, and protections in the union contracts
- Conduct one-to-one organizing conversations over zoom and the phone, with a focus on building union capacity for mass collective actions
- Identify, recruit, and train workplace leaders. Help build and develop a strong network of leaders in every program and area.
- Build departmental and campus-wide Organizing Committees. Train leaders on how to run an effective Organizing Committee meeting, set organizing goals/benchmarks, and execute a plan to achieve those goals.
- Support worker leaders in developing their organizing skills, including one-to-one organizing and leader recruitment
- Assist workers in conducting escalating campaigns around workplace issues
- Work with leaders and other staff to craft and execute strategic organizing and communications plans
- Utilize and maintain membership lists
- Additional duties as assigned
DESIRED JOB QUALIFICATIONS:
- A commitment to intersectional economic, racial, and social justice, and solidarity with working people across diverse workplaces and sectors.
- An interest in learning and developing democratic, worker-led organizing practices.
- Strong attention to detail, time management skills, and ability to work both independently and as part of a collaborative group.
- The ability to meet with workers in a variety of locations on your assigned campaign. This role will include talking with workers both one-on-one and in groups.
- Ability to work some evenings and weekends
- Ability to prioritize in a fast-paced environment
- Familiarity with worker representation and collectively bargained agreements
- Proficient with Google products such as Gmail and Google Drive (docs & sheets)
- At least 2 years previous labor organizing experience is preferred; however, other applicable organizing experience will be considered on a case by case basis.
- Able to work full-time.
This position will be located in-person in Southern California.
PAY AND BENEFITS
Salary for an entry level field organizer is $74,199 for full-time work. This position is covered by a Collectively Bargained Agreement that will be shared upon hire.
UAW 2865/5810 offers a comprehensive benefits package with $0 in healthcare premiums. Benefits include family medical, dental, vision and prescription coverage, retirement fund matching, and paid time off.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email a resume and brief cover letter with the subject line: “UC-UAW Field Organizer Application” to email@example.com .
International students, women, people of color, LGBTQIA+ and other traditionally marginalized groups are all strongly encouraged to apply.
If you meet most of but not all of the qualifications please don’t hesitate to apply.