Under our contract, you are eligible to have up to $1,100 per quarter ($1,650 per semester) of your childcare expenses reimbursed by the University if your child is 12 years old or younger and you’re working an appointment of 25% or more as a TA, tutor or reader. This applies to undergrads and grad students. If you work 25% or more during summer sessions, you’re eligible for the same reimbursement as long you’re a registered student during the terms preceding and following the summer.
This reimbursement is not applied automatically, however! To claim it, you should submit the following to whoever handles payroll in the department where you work:
- Receipts for childcare expenses
- Childcare reimbursement form (request from your department/hiring unit, or download below)
You can submit the reimbursement form as soon as childcare as cost you $1,100 over the course of the term (or $1,650 for a semester). The latest you should submit the form is the last day of the term following the term for which you need the reimbursement. If you needed reimbursement for Winter 20XX, for example, the last day you could submit your reimbursement form is the last day of Spring 20XX.
You will need the caregiver’s Taxpayer ID or Social Security Number to complete the form.
UPDATE: the UAW 2865 Bargaining Team won a temporary expansion of the childcare reimbursement program through COVID-19 Effects Bargaining.
For Fall term 2020, ASEs will be permitted to seek reimbursement for childcare provided by a friend or relative living in the same household as the ASE as long as they are not:
• A person for whom the ASE (or the ASE’s spouse if filing jointly) can claim as a dependent;
• The ASE’s child who was under age 19 at the end of the year, even if the child isn’t the ASE’s dependent;
• A person who was the ASE’s spouse any time during the year; or
• The parent of the ASE’s qualifying person if the ASE’s qualifying person is the ASE’s child and under age 13