Dear UAW 2865 Member,
Our Local will be holding the upcoming Triennial Election on April 19-20, 2021 to vote for campus Joint Council positions. The campuses that will be holding elections are as follows:
UC San Diego
Please note that the Joint Council elections on certain campuses, as well as the election for Statewide Executive Board, have been cancelled, due to uncontested positions. The campuses with cancelled Joint Council elections are:
UC Los Angeles
UC Santa Barbara
UC Santa Cruz
DETAILS ON UPCOMING ELECTIONS
UC Berkeley will hold a contested election for 10 Head Steward positions. UC Irvine will hold a contested election for Recording Secretary. UC San Diego will hold a contested election for 6 Head Stewards. Click on the following links to see a sample ballot for each respective campus, as well as links to their candidate statements:
DETAILS FOR CONTESTED CAMPUSES
An invitation to a secret and secure ballot will be sent to you from a secure online voting platform, Simply Voting (email@example.com), on Monday, April 19th. Voting will close at 11:59pm (Pacific Time) on Tuesday, April 20th.
The Elections Committee will be on-call for assistance during the election. If you encounter issues while voting—i.e. you do not get an invitation to your ballot or you have trouble logging into the ballot—please call our Zoom hotline. The Elections Committee will be available to assist from 10:00am – 4:00pm on April 19th, and 12:00pm (noon) – 6:00pm on April 20th, and will be staffed by an Elections Committee member. If you have any questions, please contact the Elections Committee at firstname.lastname@example.org. More information about the online voting system and link to the hotline will be available here.
Additionally, we are pleased to announce that the Officers below were elected by acclamation following the close of nominations:
Statewide Executive Board:
President: Rafael Jaime (Los Angeles, English)
Northern Vice President: Kavitha Iyengar (Berkeley, Jurisprudence and Social Policy)
Southern Vice President: Yunyi Li (Los Angeles, Cinema and Media Studies)
Financial Secretary: Ved Vakharia (San Diego, Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering)
Recording Secretary: Gaby Barrios (Los Angeles, Spanish and Portuguese)
Guide: Wes Westerfield (Davis, Chemistry)
Sergeant-at-Arms: Natalie Barman (Irvine, English)
Trustee: Tania Osorio Harp (Berkeley, Architecture); Anh L. Diep (Merced, Quantitative Systems Biology); Garrett Shishido Strain (Berkeley, Sociology)
UC Berkeley Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Schuyler Laparle (Linguistics)
Recording Secretary: Kai Yui Samuel Chan (Political Science)
UC Davis Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Neetha Iyer (Anthropology)
Recording Secretary: Thomas Hintze (English)
Head Stewards: Michael Braud (Law); Bret Stevens (Agricultural & Resource Economics); Claire Gilliland (Academic Assistance and Tutoring Center); Anya Stewart (Political Science); Jeremy Rud (Linguistics); Sarah Heuckeroth (Psychology)
UC Irvine Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Youjin B. Kim (Urban Planning and Public Policy)
Head Stewards: Michelle Kim Gardner (Political Science); True Gibson (Logic and Philosophy of Science); Mark K. Gradoni (History); Margaret E. Farrell (Logic and Philosophy of Science)
UC Los Angeles Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Rachel Forgash (Political Science)
Recording Secretary: Michael Z. Dean (History)
Head Stewards: Nick Geiser (Physics and Astronomy); Aina Soley (Spanish and Portuguese); Enrique Olivares Pesante (English); Iris Ramirez (Chicana/o and Central American Studies); Cooper Lynn (Slavic, East European & Eurasian Languages & Cultures); Shota Vashakmadze (Architecture and Urban Design); Zeynep S Yildiz (Philosophy); Anna Simpson (Physics and Astronomy)
UC Merced Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Vacant
Recording Secretary: Nick Cruz (Political Science)
Head Steward: Vacant
UC Riverside Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Somchate (Pao) Wasantwisut (Chemical & Environmental Engineering)
Recording Secretary: Mai Nguyen Do (Political Science)
Head Stewards: Fernando David Márquez Duarte (Political Science); Mari West (Entomology); Ming-Feng Ho (Physics and Astronomy)
UC San Diego Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Paul N Roth (Music)
Recording Secretary: Maddie Williams (Theatre and Dance)
UC Santa Barbara Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Micah Pedrick (Mathematics)
Recording Secretary: Emily Fox (Sociology)
Head Stewards: Michael Nishimura (Sociology); Daniel Epelbaum (Math); Emma John (History)
UC Santa Cruz Joint Council:
Unit Chair: Jack Davies (History of Consciousness)
Recording Secretary: Stefan Yong (History of Consciousness)
Head Stewards: Jane Komori (History of Consciousness); Sarah Mason (Sociology)
Statewide Executive Board
Northern Vice President (1)
Southern Vice President (1)
Financial Secretary (1)
Recording Secretary (1)
|Campus||Unit Chair||Recording Secretary||Head Steward(s)|
The term for these offices is from the time that candidates-elect are sworn in until the Local’s next Triennial election, which is scheduled for May 2024.
TIMELINE: Deadlines are strict.
- Deadline to accept nomination: Sunday, April 4, 2021 8:00 PM (Pacific Time).
- Candidate statements (optional) due: Sunday, April 4, 2021, 8:00pm (Pacific Time).
- Voting (if there are contested positions): From Monday, April 19, 2021, 12:01am, through Tuesday, April 20, 2021, 11:59pm (Pacific Time). The election will take place online.
- The elections committee will be available by email and on Zoom from 10 AM to 4 PM on April 19 and from 12 Noon to 6 PM (Pacific Time) on April 20 to process ballot requests and assist with any technical issues that arise during the online voting process. Details about the Elections Committee helpline are forthcoming on this webpage.
- Run-off election (if necessary): From Monday, April 26, 2021, 12:01am, through Tuesday, April 27, 2021, 11:59pm (Pacific Time). The run-off (if necessary) will take place online.
- For Executive Board: All UAW Local 2865 members in continuous good standing for one (1) year prior to accepting nominations are automatically nominated for these positions. Additionally, for the position of Northern Vice President, members must be part of a northern campus unit (Davis, Berkeley, Santa Cruz, Merced); for the position of Southern Vice President, members must be part of a southern campus unit (San Diego, Irvine, Riverside, Los Angeles, Santa Barbara).
- For Head Steward, Unit Chair, and Campus Recording Secretary: All UAW Local 2865 members in continuous good standing for ninety (90) days prior to accepting nominations are automatically nominated for these positions.
- The Elections Committee will verify membership in good standing (payment of initiation fees and dues) and nominees’ required qualifications, per the UAW International Constitution.
- Concurrently held positions: Members may not hold more than one position on the Executive Board or Joint Council at a time.
Each member who wishes to accept nomination must indicate this intention in writing on their own behalf. Please only accept the nomination if you intend to run for the position, as nomination acceptances cannot be withdrawn once the nominating period has closed. Email your acceptance of nomination to email@example.com.
WHEN ACCEPTING NOMINATION, PLEASE INCLUDE
- Position to which you are accepting the nomination
- Your name as you’d like it to appear on the ballot
- Contact information: department, phone number, and non-UC email address
- Candidate statement (up to 500 words, optional) – In the case of a contested election, the statement will be posted on the Local’s website and at applicable campus offices no later than Tuesday, April 6, 2021, and will be available on the online ballot during the election.
Your Elections Committee